- Parent Category: Escare History
Families who have difficulty paying for uniforms, school shoes, textbooks and excursions for their children may be helped through a Smith Family Learning for Life Scholarship.
Escare Inc is a Community Partner with the Smith Family providing scholarships to families who reside in Esperance only. Please go to the Smith Family Website if you live in another part of Australia.
The scholarships provide families with the financial assistance they need to make the most of the learning opportunities at school.
The Smith Family works through local organisations, such as Escare, who can direct families in the community to advice about and support relating to:
- reading, music, technology, art or sport programs
- job hunting or interview skills
- managing household finances
- mentoring, and
- course or subject selection.
Who is eligible to receive a scholarship?
Smith Family Learning for Life Scholarships are for students of all abilities - as long as they are doing their best and attending school regularly.
The Smith Family gives priority to primary school students.
- Live or study in a community where scholarship places are available.
- The parent, carer, or student must have a current Health Care or Pension Concession Card, and
- The student must demonstrate a commitment to education by attending school at least 90% of the time.
Senior Secondary Scholarships
To be eligible for a Senior Secondary scholarship in Years 11 and 12, students must have been on the program in Year 10.
Tertiary Scholarships are available to Learning for Life students who want to continue their studies at TAFE or university. Applications and interviews are held towards the end of the year.
Tertiary scholarship students may also be able to participate in The Smith Family’s Tertiary Mentoring program.
To stay on the program and be eligible to apply for a TAFE or university scholarship, students or their families simply need to:
- Participate in a re-assessment interview every 3 years
- Complete a short Student Profile and a Questionnaire each year
- Provide a copy of end of year school reports, and
- Keep receipts of educational expenses and be willing to show these if requested.
Who funds our scholarships?
Each scholarship is paid by caring Australians called Sponsors.
At the start of each year, Sponsors are sent the Profile completed by their student so they can learn a little about the person they are helping.
Students also complete a Questionnaire at the end of each year. It describes their experience at school and plans for the future. Students and Sponsors are also encouraged to write to each other.
To protect everyone’s privacy The Smith Family manages all correspondence. Sponsors only know their student’s first name, age and the state in which they live. In return, the student only knows their Sponsor’s first name and state.